Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Can Your Business Survive a Medical Emergency?

After almost two months back and forth to the hospital with my Mom for several back to back medical emergencies things are finally starting to get back to normal.  During that time I did not spend very much time attending to day to day activities associated with my online businesses, concentrating instead on my Mother and her health problems. (those are best left to a blog to themselves). 
 
I found that even without the daily postings to twitter, facebook, and other social networks, sales were still good on Bonanzle.  Not so good on Etsy, or Artfire.  Actually non-existant on Etsy and Artfire.  Which has led me to take a step back, look at the way I was running my businesses with a critical eye.  As a result I have reached the conclusion that without a drastic change, my businesses would not survive for very long if I had a medical emergency of my own.  With Mom, I could at least check emails every couple of days, and wrap packages for shipping at night after visiting hours at the hospital were over and mail them out on my way to the hospital each morning.  But if it had been me, stuck in the hospital, I would have been so out of luck.

A friend and I have been discussing a partnership for years now.  I think maybe its time we actually crunched the numbers to see it would be workable or not.  I also need to look into having at least one, dependable, part-time employee who can handle packaging and shipping at the very least.   And I definitely need to check into life insurance that would cover my expenses should I be unable to continue my businesses for any length of time.   I already have insurance that would cover all final expenses and any outstanding bills, but nothing for a long term illness that would leave me unable to work for any length of time.

Would your business be able to survive if you were to get ill for an extended period of time?  Maybe now is the time to ask yourself the tough questions, and put a plan into place should the unthinkable happen.




Secrets of Self-Employment (Working from Home)
 Craft Inc. Business Planner

No comments:

Post a Comment